- 1 pkg. (1 1/2 lbs.) Cream Sauce/Biscuit Gravy Mix
- Beef Base (Use the appropriate amount for a rich broth for 1 gallon recipe)
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 2 – 4 cups Mushrooms (You may also try the variety mushrooms such as portabella, enoke, oyster, etc., start with 4 quarts if using fresh mushrooms)
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chopped Leaf Basil
- 1/4 – 1/2 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Grated or ground Nutmeg
- Place 1 gallon of water and the appropriate quantity of beef base into a stock pot. Bring up to a boil.
- Prepare mushrooms. Fresh mushrooms should be sautéed or steamed before placing in the sauce.
- Using a wire whip, blend the package of Cream Sauce/Biscuit Gravy Mix with 1 quart of cold water. Stir until smooth.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, combine the mix slurry with the boiling water. Stir until smooth. Reduce the heat and bring back up to a simmer. Stir frequently. Add the Kitchen Bouquet if desired. Stir in mushrooms.
- Add the spices. Stir and let sit for a minute. Add the sour cream. Stir gently to incorporate.
- Makes approximately 1 1/2 gallons.
Return to Dorothy’s Recipes