- 1 pkg. Cream Sauce/Biscuit Gravy Mix
- 2 lbs. Shredded Cheese (sharp cheddar is recommended)
- 2 lbs. Diced Potatoes, coarse
- 1 cup Diced Celery
- 1 cup Diced Onions
- 1 cup Diced Bell Peppers (red and green)
- 1/2 lb. Diced Bacon or Ham
- 1/2 tsp. White Pepper
- Salt (to taste – depends on Bacon/Ham/Cheese)
- 1/2 – 1 quart Water (does not include water for cream sauce)
- Dice up all vegetables and bacon or ham. In a sauce pan, cook the bacon until crisp and brown. (If using ham, use approximately 1/4 cup vegetable oil to saute ham.) Add all vegetables and saute them in the same pan as the meat. After celery and onion are clarified, add 2 cups of water and allow to steam to finish cooking potatoes.
- Prepare cream sauce as directed. Stir in the cheese until smooth. Add white pepper. Stir.
- Add the entire contents of the sauce pan (bacon/ham, peppers, onions, celery, and potatoes) to the cheese sauce mixture. Stir until evenly distributed. Allow to steep for 10 – 15 minutes. Check flavor – add salt as needed. Add more water as desired.
Return to Dorothy’s Recipes