YIELD: 8 meal size Calzone pockets
Oven Temperature: Conventional Oven 350°F, Convection Oven 340° F
- 4 – 5 oz. per pocket
- 5 lbs. Biscuit Mix (will make approximately 32 Calzone covers. Dough can be modified by adding a little water and whole wheat)
- 1 lb. Ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp. Garlic, granulated or fresh
- 1/2 cup Onion, minced
- 1 lb. Spinach, chopped fresh or frozen
- 8 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Dash Nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. Butter or Margarine
- To taste Salt, Pepper
- Shape 4 oz. dough pieces into balls, cover and let rest.
- Melt butter in saute pan to medium hot. Stir in minced onion and garlic (if fresh garlic is used) and saute until onions look slightly clear.
- Assemble remaining ingredients in a bowl. Stir in onions and garlic and mix well.
- Roll out dough balls to thin circles about 8″ in diameter.
- Spoon 1/2 cup filling on one side of circle of dough, fold other half of dough over filling and pinch to seal.
- Using a fork, poke some holes in the top for steam to escape.
- For a nice, shiny, golden color, brush the Calzone tops with a beaten egg.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot, or cool and freeze in resealable bags.
Return to Dorothy’s Recipes